Our family loves oats, and so oat cakes have been on my baking list for ages! Like most of my recipes, they’re super versatile, use whatever fruit you have laying around and pretty affordable as well which is always a plus.
If you’d like to amp them up even more, you can add in some protein powder or a kiddies nutrition powder. Our favourite is this one from Natures Nutrition, you know how I add it to everything that I can!
We have these for breakfast, a little mid morning snack and they’re great to pop into school lunch boxes too. They take little to no time to whip up, you could probably even still do it this evening!
Easy Oat Bars
- 1½ cups oats rolled or instant works fine
- 3 tbsp brown sugar you can also use a sugar alternative
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg you can use a flax egg if you'd like
- 1¾ cups milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup grated apple or any other fruit that you would like
- ½ cup blueberries or any other fruit that you would like
- 2 tbsp kids superfood powder this is optional
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Combine together your dry ingredients; oats, sugar, superfood powder.
- Mix together your wet ingredients in a seperate bowl; vanilla essence, egg, milk, grated apple.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix. The mixture will be very runny.
- Pour into a greased square dish and top with your blueberries. I also popped some chopped up apple on the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, it should be a golden brown colour when you take it out.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the dish.
- Store in an airtight container.
Don’t forget to tag me in your baking creations, I’d love to see what fruit combinations you come up with!