Ta-da! What do you think of the brand new website? I’ll tell ya, my caffeine addiction has reached an all time high but I reckon it was well worth it. I’m pretty chuffed that the first post on the new site is the first part of a LUSH haul. There aren’t many things that excite me as much as a shopping bag full of delish smelling goodies from this brand so I was beyond happy to get an invitation to the launch of their first store in Gauteng.
The store is in the newly developed Dainfern Square shopping centre and is right next door to The Body Shop, which is pretty weird if you ask me but I guess it’s all about healthy competition and all that jazz. Anyway, the store is exactly what we have come to expect from Lush: perfection. It smells incredible and looks amazing with all the colours and beautifully displayed products. The staff are as helpful as ever and are more than happy to show you how the different products work. Don’t you just love the fact that you can actually play with the product before you purchase it?
After a quick browse we were given a demonstration on how one of their worldwide best sellers, Angels On Bare Skin is made. This was originally sold as a cleanser for the face but has been rebranded as a face and body cleanser which is pretty useful. It has a very earthy smell with hints of lavender. I’m not a huge fan of lavender but it isn’t too overpowering in Angels On Bare Skin so it wasn’t off putting. This is a really great product for someone with a sensitive skin (the lavender will be ultra soothing) or even someone that suffers from breakouts (the kaolin clay will absorb impurities).
We were then let loose to shop to our hearts content while being served mouth watering canapés, mimosas (how fitting!) and mini smoothies. I really restrained myself and only picked up 3 products. At the end of the morning we were surprised by an amazing bag of treats to take home and so I left with a lot more than I bargained for (and that includes some new friends, aaaaah). I decided to break the haul up into two parts just so that the post doesn’t drag on forever and a day. Wanna see what I got my hands on? Keep reading…
- The Godmother (gift) – pink perfection! This soap has the same scent as the Snow Fairy Shower Gel: bubblegum and candy floss. I know that for some this sounds a bit too sweet, but let me reassure you, it’s just the right balance and smells incredible! I have tossed my normal antibacterial blah blah that was next to the sink, into the bin and replaced it with The Godmother – its softer on the hands and gives the kitchen a very light fragrance.
- Angels On Bare Skin (gift) – I’ve already explained this a little bit in the blurb above but here are a few more things to know about this cleanser. Because it is now a face and body cleanser, it will be available in the larger size tub as well as the original smaller size which is great. Besides lavender, it also contains almond shell which will exfoliate without being too harsh on a sensitive skin. It’s pretty easy to use: pick up a cherry sized amount and mix a little bit of water with it to make a paste, once that’s done, cleanse away! I don’t think that this is something that I would use every single day but can definitely see it being put to use when I’m feeling a bit weighed down by stress and want to pamper myself.
- Eye make-up in Fantasy (gift) – now this is something from Lush that I had never used before. Fantasy is a lovely coppery gold metallic colour that can be used either as a liner or as a shadow. Who doesn’t love a multi taking product?! It’s pretty well pigmented and although it doesn’t stay put for a full 12 hour day (not many products do in my opinion), it does sit tight for a good 6 hours which is good enough in my books. I love this colour and think its perfect to spruce up your eye make-up after work if you’re headed to a swanky do.
- Sweetie Pie Shower Jelly – you know, I thought that I had everything that I wanted when Chicara from Lipgloss Kisses swooped in and convinced me that I had to get one of these, and so into the basket it went. If I could, I would eat this. Really, it smells that good. It is infused with blackcurrant and bergamot essential oils, both of which leave a lingering scent on your body after you’ve hopped out of the shower. I think this is going to be one of my go to products to use before date night, its sweet scent is subtly sexy and very hard to resist. Ooh la la!
- Ultrabland Facial Cleanser (gift) – I can’t believe I’m going to make this statement but I think I’m slowly starting to like creamy cleansers. But only at night. Recently I have tried to make my night time cleansing routine less of a chore and more of a relaxing ritual. One thing I’ve included to achieve this is hot cloth cleansing (you can read more about this here). Ultrabland is infused with rosewater and almond oil, can you imagine anything better to use with a hot cloth? I certainly can’t. I like that it removes all of my foundation (I remove my eye make- up before hand) effectively and that my skin is left feeling incredibly moisturised. For me personally, this is too rich to use every day, but when I do use it, my winter skin is laps it up!
- Daddy-o Shampoo – us blondes are maintenance I tell you. It’s so easy for your colour to start looking brassy and so it’s important to incorporate a purple shampoo into your routine to prevent this (the purple pigment counteracts the brassy pigment). Fresh lemons and limes keep your hair looking shiny and the violet scent makes it very hard not to try. This product will also be beneficial to those with grey hair.
Can you believe that there is still more to come?! Watch out for part two in the next week or so, it’s going to feature some very popular goodies and perhaps even a giveaway…
*** exciting announcement*** LUSH has said that there maaaaaay be a new store opening in Rosebank, Johannesburg before the end of the year!