I whipped up this peach bake after my girls decided that actually, they don’t eat peaches anymore and I had just bought a whole bunch… toddlers, right?!
Baking isn’t really my forte; something always sticks or ends up tasting like bicarb, however I’m proud to say this this peach bake turned our to be absolutely sublime! I looked up a few recipes and then sort of whipped it up from there.
The ingredients are all pretty standard which is always a plus in my book and I’m positive that this could be made with pears or apples as well. We ate ours plain but feel free to add a dollop of cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups peeled and sliced peaches You can use canned peaches and can vary the amount that you add, depending on your prefference
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Set your oven to 180°C and grease an oven proof dish
- Place the butter into the dish and pop it into the oven (while it's heating up) until the butter has melted
- In a bowl, combine the flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder, milk and egg
- Once combined, pour into the dish with the melted butter. You don't need to stir it.
- In a bowl, combine the peaches, ⅓ cup sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. If you don't have nutmeg, feel free to use something like all spice, or just use cinnamon
- Once combined, gently spoon the peaches into the dish. If you'd like the peaches to stay on the top of the dessert, don't mix. But if you'd like them to be inside the cake, then fold them very gently into the mixture
- Sprinkle with brown sugar
- Bake for 50min, until the bake is golden on top. You can also pop the grill on for a few minutes if you would like it to get a little crispy
The next time I do this, I think I may add a crumble onto the top of the dessert, just for something a little different, what do you think?
I hope you enjoy this delicious peach bake and don’t forget to tag me if you do make it!